You've been asked to pitch a new client at his…
Can a person’s confidence level be linked to their skin care regimen? According to the experts, absolutely! Outer appearances certainly have an impact on self-confidence and having beautiful skin can create a positive domino effect in someone’s life. The opposite is also true, with skin problems causing life-long psychological conditions.
Skin Disorder Research
Recent research provided by the British Association of Dermatologists actually shows the specific link between an undesired skin condition and someone’s self-confidence. According to the study, less than perfect skin can lead to lower self-esteem, embarrassment and even shame.
What makes this even more complicated is that the face is most susceptible to these skin conditions, which is difficult to hide. The research also showed that for those who suffer from long-term skin conditions, the psychological results can reach dangerous levels. Clinical depression, anxiety disorders and social phobias are not uncommon among those with serious skin conditions.
What’s the Solution?
While many rely on cosmetics to cover blemishes, dark spots or other problem areas, this does little to raise their self-esteem. Because they know that the problem is still there, no matter how well it may be hidden, the negative effects still take hold.
So to eliminate low self-confidence due to a skin problem, healthy skin is the most effective solution. Clear skin will not be enough. The skin needs to be healthy from the inside out, which will in turn project self-confidence from within.
The Ideal Skin Regimen
There is no one skin regimen that will work for everyone. It will need to be customized based on the skin tone, condition and individual characteristics. But here are some great tips and tricks that will have anyone on the right track to healthy skin.
- Avoid touching the skin if not needed. Resting chins and cheeks in hands can transfer countless bacteria, build up oils and lead to problem skin.
- Never pick blemishes. This very rarely solves the problem. In fact, blemishes often hurt more and look worse after being aggravated.
- Invest in quality cleansers, toners, moisturizers, exfoliants and face masks. Keep a close eye on ingredients, making sure that only the best products are being used.
- Cleanse, tone and moisturize in the morning and evening. Begin by washing hands and then wetting the face with warm water. Be sure to use warm water, which will help to open up the pores. Massage cleanser into the skin. Remove with warm water. Splash face one last time with cold water to help pores close.
- Use a toner on dry, clean skin, preferably after washing. Toners help to restore skin’s natural pH. Apply toner with a cotton pad. Do not rinse.
- Finish with a moisturizer, taking care that the type of moisture works well with skin type. A gel moisturizer is recommended for oily skin while a cream works best with sensitive skin. Normal skin will benefit from a moisturizing serum.
- Eat well. Providing the body with proper nutrients and vitamins helps to keep skin happy and healthy.
A healthy skin regimen is a must for getting the kind of glow that can promote self-esteem and grow confidence, leading to exciting new opportunities and happiness. A few simple changes are all it takes.