When it comes to skincare products, it seems the cleanser…
” There are no ugly women, just lazy ones.” So said makeup mogul Helena Rubenstein and, with over 30 years experience in the industry, she should know. And, oh what a lovely quote it is, carrying hope to all of those who feel they are surrounded by darkness! And how right as well! Beauty is hard work! To make your eyes beautiful, it takes tools, patience and knowhow. So roll up your sleeves, ladies! We’re about to talk eyes.
So, we all have seen her, the girl with the steady hands. While we lesser humans fumble around in front of the makeup mirror, poking ourselves with pencils, she seemingly can achieve the perfect line without breaking a sweat. But maybe she just knows certain things you don’t.
- Use a pencil a to draw a guide for liquid liner. Apply the less messy pencil first, then trace it with the liquid.
- You can fix messy lines by sharpening them with a cotton swab and petroleum jelly. This will erase the excess.
- Line your eyes with dots first and then connect them.
- If eyeliner is crumbly, freeze it for 10 minutes.
You come home with an eyeshadow palette and you just know there’s a certain way to apply each color so that your eyes look deep set and huge and sexy, but you never seem to know which color should go where? And even if you get it right once, the next day you are hopelessly confused again and your eyeliner looks like one undelineated blob?
- The lightest color is best as a brow bone highlighter. The second lightest color is for the lid. The second darkest goes on the crease and the darkest belongs in the outer corner. Got it? Good!
- Use small motions to apply eyeshadow. Blending gently helps to avoid muddying colors.
- Use windshield wiper motions to soften the crease. Now this is a good one. Makeup always seems to collect in the crease.
- Apply white eyeliner before you put on the eyeshadow to make colors more intense.
The eyelashes. The frame of the eyes. Perhaps the most important part of the process, but also likely to be prone to disaster. If you want to rock out your lashes, here are some helpful hints to make these your best assets.
- Wipe off excess mascara to prevent clumps. You could save yourself hours getting ready for work!
- Coat both sides of your lashes to thicken them. Fully covered lashes are more dramatic.
- Soak mascara in hot water to make the formula thinner and easy to apply. It will probably last longer too!
- Hold a spoon under your eyes to avoid getting marks on your skin. Works on upper lashes too!
Gee, hope you’re not too tired to leave your house now. That was hard work.